2.03.2012

#libday8 It's Friday, Friday!

Okay, so yesterday was pretty uneventful... but apparently busy enough I didn't realize that I wasn't posting... :-/

Today will be better!

7:30 am  - arrive at work. I get to work early because on Fridays I have "InfoDesk" shifts. Folks who work in the library can "volunteer" for InfoDesk (basically, Reference) shifts if they get supervisor approval, so usually, one of my office mates and I share a two hour shift on Fridays. I get here early to open the desk at 8:00 am and then she takes over at 9. Today, however, I'll be working the whole shift because she's got other obligations.  I love working reference though, so I don't mind! Also, if you're only here for an hour - it's hard to really get settled in.

8:00 am - InfoDesk open for business! Another library staff member came over to ask me about an ILL request he placed, so I looked it up for him (we're still responsible for ILL work while on the desks) and it looks like it's shipped. Hopefully it will arrive soon!

Questions answered today at the InfoDesk:
- Where is the lost and found?
- How do I print using a printcard?
- Where is room 230?
- I'm done using these books, where should I put them?
- Where have you been? Hibernating? (This from a regular patron who always says hi :) We only have InfoDesk shifts during the regular semesters, so I haven't been up here as much recently...)

ILL break - request for Know how: the guide to making money with Tupperware - sad part is, I think this may actually be scholarly... the patron is a History major and they found it cited in the Journal of Women's History... the book is from 1958...

More InfoDesk questions:

- I found this ebook that I want to read, but is there a physical copy?
- Where are the foreign language dictionaries? I'm looking for something very specific...
- (okay I'm paraphrasing this one... but) I can't be bothered to remember to bring my ID with me every day and I'm running out of guest passes... what should I do? Answer: Be Responsible. The rest of us have to...
- Is there a fax machine available in the library for patron use?

10:15 am - back in ILL
Just two of us today, so we'll split the day in half - taking turns on doc providers and email duties. Hopefully our student workers come in, otherwise we'll have to do some of their work too.

11:50 am - A College Library staff member called to let us know they used the nifty new book scanners to fill a request for us... of course, they couldn't save the request in the same way they usually do with the "Transaction Number" as the name, and it was not exactly a legible scan... but YAY for new technology! :)

12:00 pm - Lunch time!

12:30 pm - back at it. Still my Doc Provider/phone shift...

12:42 pm - best. request. today. "The Ethics of Sightseeing"

3:25 pm - another library on campus accidentally charged a "no loan" book out to a patron and then discharged it, putting it in transit to us. They emailed to let us know that it is still sitting on their hold shelf.

4:00 pm - Quittin' time! It's been a good week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment