8.11.2011

Attempting to remember my place, and suceeding - but while suceeding, failing in other much more important ways

The title is purposefully cryptic and annoying because that's how I feel. Allow me to explain...

I should remind my reader that I currently hold two library jobs - one, which garners a certain amount of respect and authority (whether real or imagined...) and one which, although engaging, fun, and in the type of library where I would like to work the rest of my life - is much lower on the totem pole, so to say.

So, last night while doing the second of those two jobs, I was asked a relatively simple question by a patron. Whenever this happens, I always have a moment of self-doubt. I am not doubting my ability, mind you, rather, I am doubting the appropriateness of answering said question given my official position in the library. Believe me, I'm not trying to sound like I'm one of those "that's-not-in-my-job-description" people - I'm not. Honestly, I don't think there's any place for that in libraries because we all must be team players to present an attractive front for our users... but I digress...

I *do* pause though, and think the following thoughts: a) note to self: I'm a shelver. b) I don't want to give the wrong impression of either the position or the library by overstepping my bounds. c) ...how stupid is that? d) well, I'd better take this patron over to the desk before they think I'm some sort of robot who's just powered down in front of them...

Needless to say, I find myself arriving at that last thought and then kicking myself the rest of the night. I took this job to get back into the public library and show the folks there that I am worthy of a full time appointment. And, sometimes I really feel I'm doing myself a disservice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment