8.17.2011

Lots of changes, Max... Lots of changes

Today is my last day as Operations Manager of the Google Book Project. I have worked, with various titles, on this project for over two and a half years. I came to this job because I had recently graduated from my undergraduate studies and was on my way to completing my master's degree and I needed full-time work in a library.

This is a library - and they had full time work.

...That was basically the only draw.

It was not what I wanted: it was not a public service position, it was not in a public library, it was not near my house, I could not drive to work (and therefore could not have much freedom during the day)... But, it was relatively gainful employment that would perhaps move me closer to my goals. So I took it.

I was never not applying for other jobs while here. Pretty much every public library job within a 50 mile radius was researched, applied for, pined after, and eventually mourned as it slipped away; a graceful, yet curt, form letter arriving in the mail. I applied for the jobs I knew I'd never get (seriously, HOW does one gain 'professional experience' when no one will hire you for a professional job?!), the ones that were geographically impossible, and even the ones that devalued the profession (professional librarians are PROFESSIONALS, we have degrees and we need them every day! Please, don't refuse me basic health care!). But, here I stayed.

Eventually, I began to gain new experiences and found new opportunities. I got to go to my first professional conference (WLA). I began to take InfoDesk shifts in the Reference Department and Circulation Desk shifts each week. I became an active member of the Staff Development Committee, I got to know more people across campus. I attended local conferences, talks, and programming. I grew as a person and as a Information Professional.

I kept working on my MLIS. (I even got reimbursed for some of my tuition!)

Now, I'm sitting at a bit of a crossroads - both personally and professionally. I will be awarded my degree very soon, and I'm getting married this Fall.

And, I'm changing jobs.

Tomorrow will be my first day in the Interlibrary Loan Department of the Memorial Library.

This is still not my 'dream job' - it is still in a basement, it still has limited patron interaction (though, more then before), I'm still in an academic library that I cannot drive myself to everyday. I will have to start taking lunches, which will lengthen my day by an hour - which admittedly won't be AS bad now that I won't have to do homework every night...

But, it is a stepping stone. Another in a long trail across a river of doubt and uncertainty that every early-career professional meets.

I plan to add this next notch to my belt, so to say, and take from this new experience as much as I can - just as I've done with every new set of duties, commitment, position and new opportunity I've taken.

Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment