7.25.2011

Monday, Monday!

7:00 am - Got to work, logged on to my fieldwork timesheet to quickly log my hours from Saturday’s booksale at the Central Branch. Started checking emails, one of which contained information about Maureen Grant’s Memorial. Dealt with a question from last week pertaining to a shipment of materials sent to the scanning facility in California for destructive scanning.

7:15 am - Opened our Circulation and Cataloging modules (we use Voyager here at UW-Madison) and ran reports of circulation statistics, exceptions, item related issues etc that pertain to our project. Next I go through each item listed on the report and make sure it was processed according to our standards. - Darn, the program won’t let me in yet! Only problem with getting to work this early!

7:20 am - co-worker asked me to check a report that Google provides for information on a book that was flagged. The flag was blank, so he wasn’t sure how to process it. It was a duplicate book, meaning that another institution had already sent the book to be digitized. We run into this quite a bit, since each institution is working off the same picklist.

7:25 am - pushed a cart up to the stacks to be shelved.

7:35 am - got agenda emailed to me for the Staff Development Committee meeting this morning - looks like it will be a busy meeting!

7:40 am - trying to print my reports again. Success! On to processing...

8:00 am - discussing my upcoming transition to ILL with my coworker, while discharging and processing a cart of items returned from Google. Pandora is my friend today - got my “Rock Out” channel on right now! :) I’ll be leaving this office in three weeks - and after having been here for over 2.5 years - the transition will be... interesting.

8:45 am - done processing cart, and routing a few damaged items to our Preservation Department and adding “unrepairable” note to a few more items.

9:07 am - Question: why is the building manager always out for the day when things need his attention? HUGE cockroach in our hallway... guess what - no one has any Raid on hand... Maybe it will drown in all the red tape around here... Back to cutting pages...

9:10 am - Heading up to my Staff Development Committee Meeting!
10:45 am - back from Staff Development Committee meeting. We talked about a lot of upcoming programs and plans for future as well. This is a fun committee to be a part of; we get to provide both educational and interesting/fun programs for all library staff on campus.
10:50 am - quick lunch break! Early, I know... but that’s what happens when you eat breakfast at 6 am!

11:00 am - finishing up that page cutting and other repair work on books that will be sent back to Google. When we resend items, we put notes on them to make sure they’re processed properly upon return. These, I’ll give to my coworker because they’re from the collection from which he’s currently pulling.

11:30 am - started a document to leave for my replacement detailing some of the things they’ll need to know moving forward.

12:00 pm - 1:30 pm - on the circulation desk
Highlights:

A friend of mine stopped by and said she’d be doing #libday7 too! Excited to see what she posts! She also blogs (very well) about her experiences in Library School here.

Sent an email out to all the local folks who went on the Librarian’s Tour Of Germany back in May to see if anyone is interested in presenting our experiences for a Staff Development Program this Fall. (See, I told you it was a fun committee!)

Catching up on my library-related feeds on my Google Reader - great way to keep up on current trends, articles, etc... and maybe a few cooking blogs too :)

Another library on campus called to have a hold for a patron routed to their library. The patron decided they wanted to pick the item up at a different location. Luckily it was a book owned by this campus so it was an easy switch!

Had to hand-write carrel receipts for about a dozen items... patron didn’t know that items in his carrel needed receipts!

Carrel key that the patron has had for “a million years” returned :)

Referred patron to Circ Office to speak to someone in ILL about a book that was supposedly being held past it’s hold expiration date... through today... but wasn’t on the shelf for her. I’ll be dealing with those myself in a few weeks...

Spoke with another library staff member about my fieldwork experience and my last class for my MLIS

1:40 pm - back in the office for a little bit before I head off to fieldwork.
2:00 pm - left Memorial library to catch a bus back to my car so I can get to the Video Game Tournament at the Meadowridge Branch of the Madison Public Library by 3 pm.

2:45 pm - 5:30 pm - Video Game Tournament for Fieldwork. We had 11 players tonight, so we did a double elimination tournament. The three top players from each branch library (this was the last qualifying round) will compete in the championship on August 3rd.

5:30 pm - whew! End of the day! Headed home for souvlaki and homemade tzatziki!

No comments:

Post a Comment