1.12.2011

Day 3: OMG Whales! ... or, not tonight honey, I have a headache

Wow the Internet is moving at a pace with which Doug's horse Tiny would sympathize ... Anyway - now that I finally have Blogger open - on to the day's events!


This is the same tour Andrew and I went on last year, and it did nothing but impress me again. This time, I let my camera do all the thinking and I got some amazing shots.

We got to witness a female whale basically telling a male to buzz off, or as Capt. Dan said, it was like she was saying, "Sorry, not tonight, I have a headache!!"

I am so glad we got the opportunity to go  on the tour with Capt. Dan again, he's so very knowledgeable and really shows how much he cares about these animals - not just about the quick buck he can make running tours. I have seen tours that are a lot less - but I'd pay twice what we did to have Capt. Dan's expertise at our disposal. 

The tour ran about three hours - just like last year - so afterwards, Becky, Doug, Mom and I drove back to Kailua-Kona to use Becky's Christmas gift certificate at Pikake Beads. We had the chance to walk up and down the coastline streets a bit as well, and found an ABC Store as well as some other places I remember from my trips as a child. I had forgotten they were all down there, so last year we missed much of them. 

After shopping, we headed back to the hotel and met Baba for dinner at the Kamuela Provision Company. This was our first "real" dinner of the trip, since we've been mostly hitting up the sandwich/bar and grill type places and it was really nice to have the quality sit-down time. We didn't see any more whales off the coast this time, but we did see a lot of the cats that have taken up residence on the property. One, the same one hanging around KPC last year, named Marshmallow now has an unnamed friend, so I named him Sherbet because he was orange. The waiter said he liked the name and "will see if it sticks." Next year, I fully intend to see both Marshmallow and Sherbet at KPC!! :) 

Mom and I decided to go hot tubbing to relax after dinner, so we rounded out the night with about an hour soaking in the heat and steam. 

Tomorrow we're heading to the other side of the island and up to the volcanoes. Sweet dreams, Pele, we'll be seeing you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment