1.16.2011

Day 7: Hi. I'm Erin, and this is my job...

Good evening. Tonight I write to you from the Stevenson's Library; martini-n-sushi bar and Oxford-Lounge-esq venue at the Grand Hyatt Kaua'i. There is a Jazz band playing, folks laughing and talking story, glasses clinking and (if Hawaii allowed smoking in-doors I imagine) smoke curling in the soft light. The notes of the sax drift slowly through my mind, sonorous sounds sink deep into my soul.  

Okay, enough of that! :) Today we had a relaxed start, meeting for breakfast at 9:00 am. I had been up since about 6:30, though, partly because I'd forgotten to update my alarm clock, but mostly because I wanted to (finally) talk with Andrew for awhile. Which I did! It was nice! :)

So, after breakfast, we left the hotel with the intent of finding the Original Red Dirt Shirt Factory in Ele'ele. The factory is about a 30 minute drive from the hotel and we found it with no problem. Unfortunately, the do not run their tours on the weekends, but we were able to look through the store where - of course - they have the episode of Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe playing on continuous loop next to a large cardboard cut out of Mike Rowe himself!

(I would love to insert a picture here, but the Internet is not allowing me to do so... so.... you'll see them later... maybe... if you come back to my blog after reading the post for the first time... :) )

The Factory Store sells the "Mike Rowe Works" products as well, and it was cool to see those! Baba got a shirt that says "Older than Dirt" :) and Doug got a shirt with the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a featured. They also sold the "lava dyed" shirts like Andrew got on last year's trip.

After getting dirty (and, seriously, you do - just picking up the shirts! Until you get home to wash them...) we went to Spouting Horn on Po'ipu Beach. The Flea Market is still there as well, so of course we had to pick though all the rough to find a few diamonds there - both times you have to walk through it to get to Spouting Horn... :-/

On the way back to the hotel, we stopped for Shave Ice, but instead had Puka Dog for a late lunch. Gotta say, it's always fun to eat at places featured on the shows I watch at home! :) And, the hot dogs are fantastic! I had the Polish Sausage, with the Jalapeno sauce and mango relish. Very tasty!

We made it home in time to hit the pool for a few minutes in the sun before the Packer Game started... and I know I don't need to say it but - WE WON!!! Second Round of the playoffs have been successful, now depending on the outcome of the game tomorrow, we'll either play the Seahawks or Da Bears next week.

The game completed and the victory secured, Becky, Doug, Mom and I met Baba for dinner at the Seaview Terrace. Becky and I split an "Ali'i Pie" - pizza, with grilled chicken, artichoke hearts, bacon and garlic sauce - Mom had some sort of sweetly marinated beef kabobs; Doug had Coconut Chicken Wings and Baba had a Black Angus Burger.

Becky, Mom and I hit the hot tub after dinner, and that brings you up to speed on our day.

Now, it is time for sleep - the sun has gone to bed and so must I! We plan to catch the sunrise tomorrow - so I'll be sure to say 'Hello!' :)

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment